Work In Progress                           
Next Saadh Sangat Samagam @ Detroit, Michigan May 23-26,2008. Please Click on the Samagam links for more info.

        Your local time is

Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Power of "Naam" 2....

In fourteenth century, India was ruled by a king who would kill if anyone refuses to accept Islamic faith. Kabeer Ji was a true devotee of God and would recite His name eternally. Kabeer Ji would worship God and none else. Kabeer Ji considered himself neither a Muslim nor a Hindu. He says, “I do not keep fasts, nor do I observe the month of Ramadaan. I serve only the One, who will protect me in the end. The One Lord, the Lord of the World, is my God Allah. He administers justice to both Hindus and Muslims. I do not make pilgrimages to Mecca, nor do I worship at Hindu sacred shrines. I serve the One Lord, and not any other. I do not perform Hindu worship services, nor do I offer the Muslim prayers. I have taken the One Formless Lord into my heart; I humbly worship Him there. I am not a Hindu, nor am I a Muslim. My body and breath of life belong to Allah - to Raam - the God of both. Says Kabeer, this is what I say: meeting with the Guru, my Spiritual Teacher, I realize God, my Lord and Master” (Guru Granth Sahib, 1136).

As of his profession, Kabeer Ji was a tailor and “Abandoning weaving and stretching thread, Kabeer enshrined love for God. As a weaver from a lowly family, he became an ocean of excellence” (Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 487). The king came to know about Kabeer Ji and told him to accept Islam but Kabeer Ji refused. He was tied up with the chains by the order of the king. The king’s men brought Kabeer near the bank of the river Ganges. There was not a single person with Kabeer but God. Kabeer Ji says, “The river Ganges is deep and profound. Tied up in chains, they took Kabeer there. My mind would not shake; why should my body be afraid? My consciousness remained immersed with God” (Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 1162). The king’s men threw Kabeer’s body tied up with chain’s in the river Ganges to drown. Kabeer Ji describes this situation as follow, “The waves of the Ganges broke the chains and Kabeer was seated on a deer skin. Says Kabeer, I have no friend or companion, on the water, and on the land, the Lord is my Savior” (Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 1162). God raised Kabeer Ji from the water to protect His devotee. The chain broke as Kabeer’s body touched the water of the Ganges and Kabeer was raised from the water and was sitting on the deer skin on the surface of the water. Watching this, the king was amazed and full of embarrassment. The King begged Kabeer Ji for an apology.

source : realsikhism.com

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home