Work In Progress                           
Next Saadh Sangat Samagam @ Detroit, Michigan May 23-26,2008. Please Click on the Samagam links for more info.

        Your local time is

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Gurdwara Nanak Piao, Delhi, India......

Dedicated to the first Sikh Guru, Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib jee Maharaaj, Gurdwara Nanak Piao was built at the site, in the garden where Dhan Guru Nanak Dev jee camped when he visited Delhi in 1505 during the reign of Sultan Sikander Shah Lodhi. It is situated on Rana Pratap Road (also known as Grand Trunk Road). It is said that people flocked to the revered prophet and offered him and Bhai Mardana with precious gifts and offerings. Guru Nanak used to distribute all these offerings to the poor and needy. Besides these, he used to offer food and water to the hungry and thirsty, hence the name of the shrine. One can still see the well from which Guru Nanak served water in the shrine.



As any other Gurdwara, Gurdwara Nanak Piao has grown exponentially. It is not the same what it was 10 yrs ago. Side View (from North East Side).



Frontal view (from South)



Main Darbar Hall. Not as many people in the afternoon, but go there in morning and evening you find a lot of Sangat there.



Darshan of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee Maharaaj.



Front close up view of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee Maharaaj.



This is the well where Dhan Dhan Sri guru Nanak Dev Sahib jee Maharaaj served the travellers/passing people by providing them water to quench their thirst. Lucky were those souls who drank water from Maharaaj's hands.



Another view of the well fully enclosed and covered with marble structure. In the days when Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib jee Maharaaj stayed at this place, it was just like any other ordinary well.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • That was a great article and brilliant pictures. I have put it up at SikhiWiki. I hope you don't mind. Check it out here -
    http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Nanak_Piao

    I have acknowledged you at the bottom of the article. I wonder if you can help us with other G/Ws in Delhi.

    Many thanks

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/20/2007 2:30 AM  

  • No problem at all Veerjeeoo. I'll see what other photos I can provide you with, though I do not have any more good pictures. Just keep checking the blog or just e-mail me your e-mail address. You can grab my e-mail address in the profile of mine on the blog. I'll keep in mind when I visit India to take some good quality pictures of as many Gurdwara as possible or I'll see if I can find someone who can take pictures and e-mail it to you/me. These pictures were sent to me by my parents.

    By Blogger Sifar, at 4/20/2007 7:46 AM  

  • Thanks for the positive stand. I will keep an eye on your blog for more interesting Sikhi accounts and pictures.

    Keep in chardikala.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/22/2007 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home