Work In Progress                           
Next Saadh Sangat Samagam @ Detroit, Michigan May 23-26,2008. Please Click on the Samagam links for more info.

        Your local time is

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

God and His Worshiper 2......

Bhagat Naamdev jee were a very true worshiper of the One and only. For all of his life, Naamdev jee had worshipped God and had faith in Him for each and every moment. He did not worship anyone else but the one immortal God. He says, ‘The performance of countless millions of other devotions is not even equal to one devotion to the Name of God’ (Guru Granth Sahib, 1163). The materialistic things would not deter Naamdev’s spiritual path to meet God. He considered iron and gold alike. Once while sewing he wrote, “My needle is of gold and my thread is very expensive but my mind is attached with God” (Guru Granth Sahib, 485). He cared neither for gold nor silver, he was in love with God. Even though as a result of his true worship he had become a highly spiritual person, he was still completely devoid of pride. Naamdev knew that God does care for the person who recites His name and remembers Him all the time.

Once Naamdev went to Avandanagnath Temple situated in Maharashtra, India. The Hindu priests of that temple believed in the caste system. After reaching the temple Naamdev sat and started worshipping God but the Hindu priests grabbed his arm and drove him out of the temple. The priests said that Naamdev couldn’t visit the temple because he is of a low class. Naamdev was deeply hurt so he went to the back of the temple and started worshipping God. In his prayer he said, ‘Joyfully, I came to Your Temple, O Lord. While Naamdev was worshipping, he was driven out. I am of a low social class, O Lord; why was I born into a family of fabric dyers? I picked up my blanket and went back, to sit behind the temple’ (Guru Granth Sahib, 1164). Naamdev also said, ‘O Lord, please do not forget me because if You forget me then where should I go. There is nowhere else to go and no one else to believe in except You’. He further prayed, ‘Please do not forget me, do not forget me, please do not forget me, O Lord. The temple priests have doubts about this, and everyone is furious with me. Calling me low-caste and untouchable, they beat me and drove me out; what should I do now O Beloved Father Lord? If You give me salvation after I am dead, no one will know that I attained salvation. These Priests, these religious scholars, call me low born; when they say this, they tarnish Your honor as well. You are called kind and compassionate; the power of Your Arm is absolutely unrivalled’ (1292). ‘As Naamdev uttered the Glorious Praises of the Lord, The temple turned around to face the Lord's humble devotee’ (1164). ‘The Lord turned the temple around to face Naamdev and its back to the Priests’ (1292). That temple is still rotated. This is the symbol of the true love of God towards His true worshiper.


source:realsikhism.com

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home